This healthy breakfast souffle takes a little while to prepare but is worth the effort. I have included healthy heart substitutions in the ( ). This is our most requested recipe at the Inn on Poplar Hill, I hope you enjoy it.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1/2 Cup Oatmeal
- 1 Cup Milk (1 cup skim milk or soy milk)
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar (2 Tablespoons Agave Syrup)
- 4 eggs Separated (egg whites & 2 Tablespoons of low fat cream cheese as a substitute for the egg yolks)
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange oil
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
- 1/4 cup mix-ins, choose your favorite, dried blueberries, raisins, nuts what ever you have on hand
- pinch of cream of tarter - this is added to the egg whites befor you beat them. It helps the egg whites to whip up nicely. If you don't have don't worry it can be omitted.
- Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg